Forum Message

Dividend Payment and other queries

I am so pleased I came across your product when browsing on the Internet for UK-tax law compliant accounting software. It is generally very easy to use and gives a quick and accurate view of my company accounts at a modest price. But I have a few questions.

1. How do you show a share dividend payment to a Company Director? And how is this reflected in the Profit and Loss account?

2. Since upgrading from version 2.0 to version 2.2.x, I seem to have lost the ability to edit the Invoice Line Item Description field in a multi-line text editing box, which was accessible via the three-dots ellipsis icon. Are there plans to reintroduce this editing feature?

3. When entering the details about a Money Paid Out transaction, it would be useful to add a description comment field, but this is not currently available. Are there any plans to add such a feature using for example the spare blank field to the right of the Amount column in the Account Allocation table of such a transaction?

Posted by Hugh Lang on Feb 1, 2009 9:54 AM GMT

Hello Hugh,

Thanks for trying Solar Accounts - we're glad you like it. To answer your points:

1. To create a dividend payment, click menu item File > New > General Transaction. Set the From Account to 'Cheque Account' and the To Account to 'Retained Earnings'. This transaction doesn't affect any profit and loss accounts. To clear the profit and loss balances and credit the Retained Earnings account, click menu Setup > Financial Year and create a new year.

2. Click 'Multi-Line Description' at the bottom of the description drop-down box.

3. We're unlikely to do this as it doesn't seem to offer much more than the Memo field and might confuse less advanced users.

I hope this makes sense. Let me know if you need more information.

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Feb 2, 2009 9:20 AM GMT