Forum Message

Locking financial years

I have been using Solar for a few months now and really pleased with it.
One thing though that I do find causes me problems is that I cannot seem to lock a financial year and, as a result, have sometimes made an entry that has changed my previous years Profit and Loss & the Balance Sheet.
As I am aware this can happen, after making a lot of entries, I usually re-run the reports to check nothing has sneaked into one of the earlier years. If it has it can take me a while to track down where the error is.
Is there any way that Solar could 'lock' previous years accounts or give a warning that i am about to make an entry that will affect those years reports?

Posted by Heather Wilsher on Mar 25, 2014 11:30 AM GMT

Similarly to this, and not sure if it would be possible, but I would like to see the previous quarter (or relevant period) locked once the VAT return has been submitted.

Posted by Kim Negrea on Mar 25, 2014 8:55 PM GMT

Hi Heather and Kim,

Yes it would be better if previous financial periods could be 'locked' to prevent changes. I'll record your email address to be notified if we add this feature in future.

Regards

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Mar 26, 2014 1:20 PM GMT

Hi

This would be a great feature so that prior posting could be avoided, perhaps a simpler method instead of locking to a certain financial period could be a general date setting whereby posting could not be made prior to this. That way it would allow the user to control how they wanted to lock their system.

Stephen

Posted by Stephen Asker on Apr 3, 2014 10:10 PM BST

Don't know why this feature is not in Solar, other accounts packages I have used have closed off after each VAT quarter, reports printed and then start a new quarter.
Would love to see this feature added asap.
Alan

Posted by Alan Overton on May 22, 2014 10:06 PM BST

Hi likewise Mark, I seem to get hit by this.
Enter a transaction in the wrong period and it messes up previous return periods and I have to then re-reconcile all again.

Another option I am thinking is setting a new file for each year. Just trying to think if theres a way of exporting balances/setup at each y/e.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Joe.

Posted by Joe on Jul 25, 2014 11:59 PM BST

Hi Joe,

Sorry I don't think I can be much help. You could create a new data file and use the CSV export/import approach to copy the account balances across. However you will also need to re-enter any invoices that unpaid at the start of the financial year. Personally I think a simpler solution is to export the end-of-year Trial Balance to a spreadsheet, then if you accidentally modify that year you will at least be able to see what accounts were changed.

REgards

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jul 28, 2014 3:27 PM BST

Was this feature ever added?

Like the previous poster, I enjoy using Solar Accounts but I find the odd transaction slipping into past periods due to user error. It would be helpful to be able to prevent these, particularly to protect past VAT submission data.

Regards

Angel

Posted by Angel on Jan 21, 2016 4:29 PM GMT

Hi Angel,

Sorry no, we still have not added a way to lock periods in Solar Accounts. As it stands the best approach is to take a 'snapshot' by exporting the Transactions list for the previous year to a spreadsheet. Later you can export the list again and compare the two spreadsheets. A good way to do this is to copy and paste the contents of each spreadsheet into the website www.quickdiff.com - see the this picture for an example which shows I have added a

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jan 22, 2016 3:37 AM GMT