Forum Message

How to record VAT pre registration

We have recently registered for VAT, my understanding is that we can reclaim the VAT on good purchased for resale ( that are were held in stock at the date of registration) back to April 06 as well as any Capx items purchased.

How do I record these figs as I am due to send our first VAT return by the end of the month.

Posted by Tom Beattie on Apr 13, 2010 9:29 AM BST

Hi Tom,

Solar Accounts will not automatically keep track of VAT paid before you were registered for VAT. You will need to manually work out how much VAT you can reclaim, then record a General Transaction from Uncategorised Income to the VAT Liability account for that amount. You will also need to adjust the figures on the first VAT return calculated by Solar Accounts to include this reduction in the VAT due.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Apr 13, 2010 4:40 PM BST

Have now worked out what is due, and the Vat man actually owes money, so do I enter it as a Minus ( - ) fig

Posted by Tom Beattie on Jul 2, 2010 11:19 AM BST

Hi Tom,

Yes, you will need to enter a minus figure in Box 5 of your VAT return. You can can enter a minus figure in the Amount field in the Money Paid Out window, or create a Money Received transaction with a positive amount.

Cheers,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jul 2, 2010 12:53 PM BST

Thanks Mark

Tought it was that but wanted to check.

Posted by Tom Beattie on Jul 3, 2010 12:16 PM BST

Is your software going to assume this is Vatable 'income' and therefore is there going to be VAT on this 'income'...

I am on a flat rate scheme.

Posted by Arran Nicholson on Aug 16, 2010 1:39 PM BST

Hello Arran,

When you record the VAT refund payment from HMRC, ensure the VAT Treatment field is set to 'Out of Scope'. This will prevent the payment from affecting your next VAT return.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Aug 16, 2010 2:01 PM BST