Forum Message

Import Data reversed?

Hi all,

When creating a custom .csv file to import the past 5 years worth of "Paypal Processing Fees", the first column "Type" is set to Money Paid Out with the subsequent fields entered (as far as we can tell) correctly, but when importing, it creates Money Received entries.

When setting "Type" to Money Received, it imports as Money Paid Out (what we want).

Is this a bug or are we doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Posted by Matt on Jan 18, 2011 3:24 PM GMT

Hi Matt,

That is odd; when I try this it imports correctly. Can you please email me the CSV file that has the problem?

Thanks

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jan 18, 2011 6:09 PM GMT

I have exactly this same issue. Infact the imported data looks funny in the software too. As a result of this my next imported session also went wrong and I've lost a lot of data.

Posted by Priyanka Miranda on Apr 10, 2012 9:48 PM BST

I realised what the issue is. At first I thought this was strange that even I was getting this issue only on the paypal fees. Then on looking closely I noticed that I had copied all the paypal fees from the paypal download and that is shown as - (negative) values.

So what the import function is doing is that its looking at the negative value and marking it as a Money Received even though you are putting a Money Paid Out Type.

I think there should be a validation check to ensure this doesn't happen.

Posted by Priyanka Miranda on Apr 10, 2012 10:18 PM BST

Hi Priyanka,

I'm glad you've sorted out the problem. The import process is designed to handle data in the same way that the Money Paid Out window handles the data - and this window is designed to allow for negative amounts to handle things like bounced cheques:
http://www.solaraccounts.co.uk/forum/topic.php?TopicId=174&Posts=1

However, perhaps it's a good idea to generate a warning if the amount is negative - I'll note this as an option for future development.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Apr 11, 2012 9:40 AM BST