How to Record a Bill or Purchase InvoiceTip: You can copy an existing purchase invoice by selecting it in the Purchase Invoices list and clicking menu Edit > Copy.
To create a purchase invoice, click menu File > New > Invoice. In the Invoice window, change the Document Type to 'Purchase Invoice':
(Note: The VAT column is only shown if your business is registered for VAT)
Enter the details of your purchase into the following fields:
- Supplier: The name of your supplier.
To create a new customer, click 'New Supplier' from the drop-list.
- ID: A unique number for your records.
- Supplier Inv. No: The invoice number used by the supplier. Can be left blank.
- Date: The date on the purchase invoice.
- Qty: The quantity of goods or services provided (e.g. 15 kilograms or 8 hours)
- Description: A description of the goods or services provided.
To enter a long description with multiple lines, click the ellipsis ('...') button
to the right of the current description field.
- Account: An expense account used to categorise the purchase,
eg. 'Electricity' or 'Accounting Services'.
- VAT Column (only shown if registered for VAT): This is the rate of VAT
your supplier charges you.
- Unit Price: This is the price you are charged per unit of goods or
services (e.g. £4.70 per kilogram or £40 per hour)
- Line Total: The total amount for the invoice line –
automatically calculated as Quantity multiplied by Unit Price.
- Prices Include VAT: By default, the Unit Price and Line Total
amounts do not include VAT. Tick this box if you prefer to enter the amounts
- Comment: Any comment that appears on the invoice.
- Subtotal: The total of all invoice lines.
- VAT: The total VAT you pay to the supplier.
- Total: The total amount you pay to the supplier.
- More Options > VAT Treatment (only shown if registered for VAT): This list determines
how your purchase will affect your VAT return. Select the option which best describes the purchase.
- Journal Memo: A description of this purchase to appear in your transaction list.
- Paid Today (only shown for new invoices): If you make a payment to
the supplier on the date of the invoice, enter the amount paid here.
This will create a new payment associated with this invoice.
- Paid (only shown for existing invoices): This is the total amount
paid to the supplier for this sale.
- Balance Due: The amount owing to your supplier. This is the difference
between the invoice total and amount paid.
The invoice will appear in the Purchase Invoice list (click menu Window > Purchase Invoices).