How to Record an Invoice PaymentTo record an invoice payment from a customer, click File > New > Money Received. The Money Received window will appear:
Note: The Type will default to 'Invoice Payment' only if the customer has an outstanding invoice.
Enter the details into the following fields:
- Received From: Enter the customer name. If the customer has no oustanding
invoices the payment Type
will default to 'General Payment' – see How to Record a Cash Sale.
- Date: The date you received the payment.
- Amount Received: The amount of money you received from your customer.
- Deposit Into Account: By default, payments are deposited into the
'Money to be Banked' account. (This account represents cash and cheques you have
received but not yet paid into your bank account). If you receive a payment
directly into your bank account, change the Deposit Into Account field to 'Cheque Account'.
- ID: A unique number for this payment.
- Journal Memo: A description of this transaction for your records.
- Type: This is the type of payment. If the customer has outstanding invoices
this will default to 'Invoice Payment'.
- Apply to Invoice: Tick the invoice to apply the payment to.
- Total Amount Applied: This is the total of the 'This Payment'
column and must match the 'Amount Received' field.
- Show paid invoices: Tick this box if you wish to apply the payment to a paid invoice.
Note that this will result in the invoice being overpaid.