Forum Message

unable to open work file !

message pops up Unable to write to disk Please check the file is not full or read only to safeguard your file you must restart Solar Accounts before making further changes.......I use a Iomega 500GB desktop harddrive and backup to my computer at home and to my computer in my office I last did a backup on 14 Feb at work, pluged in today and got this message, I can open my backup but cant access work since any suggestions............PLEASE

Posted by Douglas Jackson on Feb 17, 2011 6:38 PM GMT

Hello Douglas,

Please email me your data file - this will give us a better understanding of the problem.

Thanks

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Feb 18, 2011 10:07 AM GMT

I have the same problem if I have the data file stored on an external hard drive. If i move the file to a local folder I have no problem. This is a pain as I wanted to be able to have three macs on our network that could access the same data file all be it at different times.

Any suggestions

Posted by Neil Drummond on Mar 16, 2011 8:02 AM GMT

Hi Niel,

Unfortunately Mac network drives do not allow files to be 'locked' by applications and so cannot be used by Solar Accounts. Most likely your hard drive also has this limitation.

The work-around is to make changes to the file on your computer, then copy it to a remote folder.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Mar 16, 2011 12:26 PM GMT

Did you find the answer to this problem?
I have just experienced the same thing.
I worked on the file via the external hard drive, then saved a copy to my C drive. I now get that same message wherever I try to load the file from.
Interestingly, the "Sample Business Account" opens fine.

HELP please.

Posted by Derek Creek on Mar 19, 2011 10:44 AM GMT

Hi Derek,

Unfortunately I'm unable to determine if we were able resolve Douglas's problem. Please email me your data file and we can investigate further.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Mar 19, 2011 12:19 PM GMT