Forum Message

Minus sign

Hi
Can anyone tell me why on Liability Account and Equity Account the minus sign is showing. does it mean the Account as to much money in or not enough ?

As when I have been inputting I know I have put extra into both accounts, so it should show plus.

I asked my account and he said the accounts are at a minus
Help as he also said that solar accounts are so simple he does not understand it

Posted by Geraldine on Jun 18, 2011 7:30 AM BST

Hi Geraldine,

In Solar Accounts a negative balance for a liability account means someone else owes your business money. For example, say you start with a Mastercard balance of zero, then you 'take out' money by purchasing goods worth £80 with the card - this will create a positive balance of £80. Now let's say you 'pay into' your Mastercard £100 by transferring funds from another bank account - this will result in a negative balance of -£20. This negative balance says, "Mastercard owes my business £20".

A similar situation applies to Equity balances - a negative Equity balance means, "The business owners owe money to the business".

In general, you get a negative balance for Liabilities and Equity accounts if you pay more money into the account than you take out, or if you set the Opening Balance to be negative.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jun 18, 2011 9:26 AM BST