Forum Message

Solar Accounts for Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)

Hi

Will Solar Accounts still work if I upgrade my Mac to OS X Lion? Does Solar use the Rosetta translation code which I believe isn't supported in Lion.

Thanks Adrian

Posted by Adrian Croome on Jul 20, 2011 2:21 PM BST

Hi Adrian,

No, the current version of Solar Accounts is not designed to support Mac OS X Lion. However, we will release a new version within the next few days which will work on OS X Lion. I'll let you know when it is available.

Solar Accounts does not use Rosetta translation code, but it does use Java which has been removed in OS X Lion. We are working to ship our own in-built Java virtual machine instead of relying on Apple's JVM.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jul 20, 2011 2:21 PM BST

I installed OSX Lion yesterday, tried to open Solar accounts and it said it required Java and asked to install java, it searched for java, downloaded it, I closed Solar and re opened my company file and all is working ok.

Posted by Ian Le Montais on Jul 21, 2011 11:24 AM BST

Hi Ian,

Yes, previous versions of Solar Accounts may work on OS X Lion if you install Java. However, we have not tested these versions with Lion - we recommend users wait until we release the next version of Solar Accounts (due shortly) before upgrading to Lion.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jul 21, 2011 12:31 PM BST

Hi all,
Apple today released a java installer specifically for Lion - check it out at macupdate.
Is Solar still planning an update with built-in java?

Posted by Paul Genty on Jul 21, 2011 5:18 PM BST

Hi Paul,

Yes. Apple have deprecated their Java JVM, which means they recommend developers should no longer use it. Also, the process of installing Apple's JVM is not a good user experience. For these reasons we will ship our own JVM with the next release of Solar Accounts.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jul 22, 2011 7:55 AM BST

I installed Solar Accts on an iMac running Lion today with no problems whatsoever. Very happy with the software, but wished I'd found it earlier after already parting with over £100 for a program called Express Accounts and Invoice, which I thought could do the business but came up well short. I thought I was going to get a new software after paying with new features, but not the case. Will now save to buy Solar after the trial.

Posted by Stephen Alford on Jul 22, 2011 11:54 AM BST

Hi All,

We've now released a new version of Solar Accounts designed to run on Mac OS X Lion (version 10.7). To upgrade your installation follow these steps:
http://www.solaraccounts.co.uk/download.php?flag=UPGRADE&p=mac

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jul 22, 2011 4:30 PM BST

Hi Mark

I haven't upgraded to Lion yet but wondered if I should upgrade my solar accounts (I like to be on the latest version!!!). Would you advise or wait until I move to Lion?

Thanks

Nigel

Posted by Nigel Johnson on Jul 28, 2011 1:33 PM BST

Hi Nigel,

It's fine to upgrade Solar Accounts even if you are running an older version of OS X. Solar Accounts supports OS X 10.5, 10.6 and 10.7.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jul 28, 2011 3:21 PM BST