Forum Message

Balance on Transaction Reports

Mark - I am not sure with this is an error or whether it is intended behaviour.....

If I want to look at the transactions on an account within a given date range (say last 3 months), Solar correctly filters the transactions to be within the specified dates but the 'Balance' column is not the running balance of those transactions, it is the balance of all of the unfiltered transactions.

Is there a way to be able to total the value for the transactions within the specified date range without exporting to Excel and manually summing the column ?

Posted by Alan Rick on Sep 16, 2011 6:30 PM BST

Hi Alan,

Yes that is the intended behaviour - the 'balance' column of the Account Activity list is not affected by the transaction filter dates. To find the change in the balance for the date range:
1. Calculate the balance of the account before the first transaction
2. Note the balance of the account after the last transaction
3. Subtract 1 from 2

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Sep 17, 2011 9:57 AM BST

That is the answer I suspected and, in fact, it is the way I currently calculate the total of a filtered extracted transactions.

I am not sure why Solar shows the running balance of all transactions as surely this is relatively meaningless for an extract ? I think a running balance of the extracted data would be more useful.

If you think it is necessary to show the overall running balance, would it be possible for Solar to produce a Total line showing the value of the extracted data ?

Posted by Alan Rick on Sep 17, 2011 3:24 PM BST

Hi Alan,

I agree that could be useful in the case of income and expense accounts, but for balance sheet accounts I think it would be confusing. For example, if you set the Account to 'Petty Cash' and the first line showed an increase of £50, many users would expect the balance on that line to represent the total value of the petty cash tin after the increase.

I'll note your suggestion about having a total line as a feature request.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Sep 18, 2011 9:40 AM BST