Forum Message

Laptop + Home PC

I use a Laptop When lm out and about but When I Come Home I use the Home PC Can I transfer and use 2 Computers.

Posted by Mark Taylor on Sep 20, 2011 11:48 PM BST

Hi Mark,

Yes - you will need to install Solar Accounts on each computer. The simplest approach to keep the data synchronised is to store your business data file on a USB memory stick which you can swap between each computer, then just double-click on this file to open it.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Sep 21, 2011 8:55 AM BST

Just a quick addition to this;

USB memory sticks are very unstable (comparatively, anyway). Please make sure that all programs have finished working with your USB stick AND that you make regular backups!

Alternatively - there are free services (such as Dropbox) that handle file syncronisation between multiple computers. That being said, I prefer to stay in control of my files and prefer copying them myself rather than letting something else!

Lastly - you could also simple set up a shared folder on, say, your Laptop and simply access the file from the desktop when you need it. This means that if you're in a rush you don't need to worry about copying things back.

But definitely be careful with USB drives! Though it's a sound approach so long as you back-up! :)

Posted by Mark Hughes on Sep 26, 2011 12:42 PM BST