Forum Message

Stolen Vehicle

Hi, a couple of months ago I had my van stolen.

Just wondering how I should account for that in Solar Accounts?

Posted by Bryan Finegan on Oct 7, 2011 7:31 PM BST

Hi Bryan,

Create a new expense account called 'Loss due to theft' then create a General Transaction from the Motor Vehicles asset account to this loss account.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Oct 8, 2011 10:25 AM BST

Hi Mark, thanks for the reply.

Forgot to mention I have now recieved the insurance payout for the stolen vehichle, how should I record the payout?

Many thanks.

Posted by Bryan Finegan on Oct 8, 2011 12:43 PM BST

Hi Bryan,

See this page for details of recording the insurance payout:
http://www.solaraccounts.co.uk/forum/topic.php?TopicId=1279&Posts=4

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Oct 8, 2011 12:51 PM BST

Hi Mark, I did look at that post, but as far as I can see when selecting the new money recieved option there is only the option to revieve money from a customer not from the any account?

Posted by Bryan Finegan on Oct 8, 2011 12:54 PM BST

Hi Bryan,

Please try this: In the Received From field of the Money Received window type the name of your insurer. Set the Type to 'General Payment', the From Account to 'Loss due to theft' and the Deposit Into Account to 'Cheque Account'.

Does that work? If not, please let me know the error message.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Oct 8, 2011 1:00 PM BST

Ok, tried what you suggested, no error messages, but the insurance payout now shows as income which it's obviously not.

Posted by Bryan Finegan on Oct 8, 2011 1:08 PM BST

Hi Bryan,

Please click menu File > Backup, then save the backup file and email it to me along with the ID of the payment. That will give me a better understanding of the problem.

Thanks

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Oct 8, 2011 4:21 PM BST

Hi Mark, will do.

There is one other thing I would like to ask your advice about.

I recently recieved two loans, one from my Wife and and other loan from my Sister in law. How should I record these?

Thanks.

Posted by Bryan Finegan on Oct 8, 2011 4:53 PM BST

Hi Bryan,

Create a new liability account called 'Loan from [name]' and then record the loan and repayments in the same way as a bank loan:
http://www.solaraccounts.co.uk/help/how-to-record-a-bank-loan-and-repayments.php

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Oct 9, 2011 1:37 PM BST

That worked great thanks.

Posted by Bryan Finegan on Oct 9, 2011 8:43 PM BST