Forum Message

Multiple Users

If you purchase the license, as i understand it can be used on 3 different computers?
My business partner and I work from different homes yet want an accounts package where we can both raise invoices etc at free will on seperate computers but for the company. Is this possibe?

Posted by Adam Piper on Jan 2, 2013 5:31 PM GMT

Hi Adam,

Yes, a single Solar Accounts licence allows you to install the software on up to 3 of your computers.

Unfortunately Solar Accounts doesn't have a simple way to share a single business database across the internet.

In your case I think the best approach is to use Solar Accounts with Dropbox. Create a dropbox folder and save your Solar Accounts data file to this folder when you set up your business. Then work as follows:

1. You edit the Solar Accounts file using Solar Accounts on your computer
    2. You synchronise your Dropbox folder on your computer
    3. Your business partner synchronises his/her Dropbox folder on his/her computer
    4. Your business partner edits the Solar Accounts file in his/her Dropbox folder
    5. Your business partner synchronises his/her Dropbox folder
    6. You synchronise your Dropbox folder on your computer
    ...repeat step 1.

Note that it is important to synchronise both computers as in steps 2, 3, 5 and 6. This will prevent a file conflict in Dropbox.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jan 3, 2013 9:18 AM GMT

Hi Adam and Mark,

My business partner and I do what you want to do, but rather than using Dropbox, which seems a little cumbersome from what Mark has said, we us the new beta version of SugarSync.

You will both have to create a SugarSync account, but a 5GB version is available free of charge.

Having each created your SugarSync accounts, one of you will have to sync your Solar Accounts data file with your SugarSync account - this is easily done by dragging and dropping the file into the sync box on your SugarSync control panel.

You can then opt to keep that file sync'd with your PC / Mac and privately share it with your business partner.

Your bsuiness partner can then sync the Solar Accounts data file with their PC / Mac and opt to keep it sync'd.

This might sound more complicated than Dropbox, which I put down to the way I have explained it, but the beauty of SugarSync is that, once you've set it up, it will do all the rest for you.

David

Posted by David Wilson, a2z Licensing Ltd on Jan 19, 2013 11:09 AM GMT