Forum Message

more than one pc

hi all - does anyone use Solar on more than one pc - if so, how? Thanks Craig

Posted by Dr Craig Thomson on Jun 30, 2013 1:14 PM BST

Hello Dr Thomson,

The simplest way to share business data between two PCs is to close the program and use Windows (or Mac) to move your Solar Accounts business data file to a USB memory stick. You can then insert the memory stick into either computer and double-click on the file to open it.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jul 1, 2013 10:10 AM BST

I use Dropbox as my backup file. My "working" file is on my office computer. I would use Dropbox to look at my Backup file on my home computer. The problem is that if I make an adjustment on the Backup file I may forget to record the adjustment on the office data file.

Would their be any potential problems in maintaining the working date file in Dropbox so that it is accessible on any computer that I have the programme? If so, how necessary would it be to keep taking backups on a pen drive or similar?

Posted by Jack on Jul 1, 2013 1:03 PM BST

"computer that" doesn't make sense. Instead I should have said "computer on which"

Posted by Jack on Jul 1, 2013 1:09 PM BST

Hi Jack,

It's fine to keep your main Solar Accounts business file in a Dropbox folder, but you need to be careful to synchronise both computers after you edit the file. See this page for details:
http://www.solaraccounts.co.uk/forum/topic.php?TopicId=1655&Posts=2

If you have have the Solar Accounts data file synchronised on more than one computer then you don't need to backup to a memory stick as often (although it doesn't hurt to do it from time to time).

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jul 1, 2013 1:10 PM BST

Many thanks, Mark.

Posted by Jack on Jul 1, 2013 1:13 PM BST