Forum Message

Registering for VAT

We currently have Solar Accounts on a trial period. Our financial year ends 31 March. We are currently not VAT registered but WILL BE from 1/4/09. If I put this years accounts on to see how it works can I then change the VAT status from 1/4/09? I can see how to change it but it doesn't ask me for a date. We also wish to use the flat rate scheme if this makes any difference. Can you advise please?

Posted by Geoff Challenor on Mar 6, 2009 5:27 PM GMT

Further to my earlier email - we are a small guest house with 6 letting rooms and a dining room. Our income comes from the 6 rooms evening dinner both for guests and outsiders and afternnon teas and supper. What is the best way to set everything upi so we can see what the income is for the above groups i.e. total income for Room 1. Do you have a template for Guest Houses?

Posted by Geoff Challenor on Mar 6, 2009 5:56 PM GMT

Hello Geoff,

Regarding VAT, you simply tick the 'Registered for VAT' box on April 1. Existing transactions will be 'Outside the Scope' of VAT while the treatment for new transactions will default to 'Sale of Goods or Services to UK Customer'. You can change the VAT Treatment of any transaction so you can always go back and correct any mistakes.

Sorry we can't offer you a template for a guest house. You can create new income accounts - one for each room and one for afternoon tea etc. Click menu File > New > Account (don't forget to set the type to 'Income'). When you enter a Money Received transaction, select the appropriate income account (use 'Unknown Customer' as the customer if necessary).

You can also create a Group Account, for example to group the income for the rooms. To do this, click menu File > New > Group Account.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Mar 6, 2009 6:13 PM GMT