Forum Message

Account Number

Hi Mark,

I have never wanted to record this before, but I now need to give every customer a Account Number which is printed on each invoice. I can't find a way of doing this!
I know I could enter it after the customer name on their record, but this does not seem very professional.
Help!

Posted by Peter Smith on May 29, 2014 3:26 PM BST

Hi Peter,

Solar Accounts doesn't have a dedicated account number field - you will need to add it before or after the customer's name.

Regards

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on May 30, 2014 8:28 AM BST

Hi Mark,
I have discovered a way of doing it which may be of interest to other users:

Under Notes in the customer record, enter the account No.
In the Invoice Template change the Purchase Order heading to Account Number (if you don't need to use PO) beneath this add the field 'Customer Notes'
Lo & behold when you print the invoice the Customer Account Number will appear.

Posted by Peter Smith on May 30, 2014 9:28 AM BST

Hi

A suggestion.
If you don't need to use customer contact field in customer details, you could manually enter an account number there and add and retitle a contact field on the invoice.

Mark Greenland

Posted by Mark Greenland on May 30, 2014 11:34 AM BST

Thanks Mark G. Now iv'e thought about it there are a few things I could do, but I am a little surprised that there is no Accounts No. field. Suggestion perhaps Mark C.

Posted by Peter Smith on May 30, 2014 4:23 PM BST

Hi Peter,

We originally chose not to include an account number field because (a) having lots of fields on screen can be confusing to novice users; (b) the name uniquely identifies the customer; and (c) it is easy to add a number prefix to the name if desired. However I'll note your suggestion about having a dedicated field and your comment that adding a number to the front of the name looks unprofessional.

Regards

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jun 2, 2014 7:32 AM BST

My old system used to do it automatically in the background as you added each new customer.
Example: 2nd new customer created in May 2014 would be "020514", 3rd new customer created in June 2014 would be "030614" and so on.
Possible update Mark ?

Posted by Alan Overton on Jun 4, 2014 4:57 PM BST

Hi Alan,

I'll note your support for having an automatic account number. However, it's not likely to be something we add in the near future as we are focused on other areas.

Cheers

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jun 5, 2014 12:38 PM BST