Forum Message

Data loss

Hi sorry if this is answered elsewhere. I have recently had a an issue with an amount of data loss and luckily we keep paper copies. It seems to be more than a one off. For some reason on occasion I have to select which file to open and then solar checks for a more recent file? Is this something we are doing wrong? Why does it not automatically load up the last version used as normal. Please note the file is saved to Dropbox (is this the cause? And if so any idea why). Also most of the time it opens the main file on its own.

Thank
Alex

Posted by Alex Smith on Jun 10, 2014 11:23 PM BST

Hi Alex,

I can think of two possible causes to this problem:

You may have modified the Solar Accounts data file on two separate computers without correctly synchronising your Dropbox folders. When you using Dropbox with Solar Accounts you need to work like this: (1) Edit the file on Computer A, then close Solar Accounts; (2) Synchronize your Dropbox folder on Computer A; (3) Synchronize your Dropbox folder on computer B; (4) Edit your Solar Accounts file on Computer B then close the program; (5) Synchronize your Dropbox folder on computer B; (5) Synchronize your Dropbox folder on Computer A; repeat. As you can see it can be difficult to keep your data synchronized correctly - consider storing your Solar Accounts data file on a USB memory stick instead. You can then insert the memory stick into either computer and double-click on the file to open it.

You may have accidentally saved the data to the wrong file. In previous versions of Solar Accounts we found that users would often accidentally open an old backup file and enter new data, then close that file and open their 'main' file and wonder where their data had gone. To combat this problem Solar Accounts attempts to determine if you are opening an out-of-date file; if you are, it will offer to switch to the up-to-date file. Note that the message saying "checking for more up-to-date file" is normal and doesn't necessarily mean the file you opened is out of date. The best way to avoid accidentally entering data into the wrong file is to always open your file double-clicking on it using Windows or Mac (instead of selecting 'Open Existing File' in Solar Account).

Cheers

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jun 11, 2014 12:21 PM BST

Hi,

I have had the same issue too. Be Careful with dropbox. if you open the same file on two different locations the last written file will overwrite the previous. It has no way of knowing which is more accurate. It will only save the latest write time which could be the one with less data input.

I reverted to putting my backups on dropbox folder but the actual accounts file on a normal disk.

Cheers
Joe.

Posted by Joe on Jul 25, 2014 11:56 PM BST