Forum Message

Editing & creating new accounts

Hi,

I'm currently trialling Solar at the moment and have a query about editing / creating new accounts. I notice that when you export to a CSV file and open in excel that the accounts file lists the account names with its corresponding nominal code and having previously used Sage these numbers seem to match up.
I have been editing a few account names & created some more and when I've exported them they don't appear to match up with Sage numbers anymore.

Does this cause a problem if you then import the CSV file into Sage or does Sage automatically cope with the different account codes?
I hope that makes sense?

Many thanks in advance.
Rachel.

Posted by Rachel Twose on Apr 7, 2009 1:08 PM BST

Hello Rachel,

When exporting to CSV files Solar Accounts doesn't 'match up' it's accounts with Sage control accounts. For example, Sage uses two accounts for tracking VAT - "VAT collected on sales" and "VAT collected on purchases" - but Solar Accounts only uses the one account ("VAT Liability"). We therefore ignore the Sage control accounts and create our own separate account which (as far as Sage is concerned) is not a control account. All transactions are exported as General Journal entries so that we can use the Solar Accounts 'control' accounts rather than the Sage control accounts.

I hope this makes sense. Let me know if you need more information.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Apr 7, 2009 4:09 PM BST

Hi Mark,

Yes that's fine; so as long as when I create a new account / account group & it's put in the correct place ie. asset / income or expense; then if I need to export the info to Sage there shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks
Rachel.

Posted by Rachel Twose on Apr 7, 2009 4:59 PM BST

Hi Rachel,

Yes I believe Sage classifies account types by number. Solar Accounts uses this numbering scheme when exporting new accounts (ie. new asset accounts start at 1300, new liability accounts start at 2301, new equity accounts start at 3201, new income accounts start at 4100 and new expense accounts start at 8301).

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Apr 7, 2009 5:06 PM BST