Forum Message

Cloud accounting

I've used Solar for quite a few years now and really like the program, but I'll need to address the new MTD VAT issue and this is (understandably) only offered on your new cloud version - and therein lies the problem.

My primary concern is that almost no cloud accounting programs offer the ability to download one's own data and open it on an offline based version of the program, which has huge potential ramifications in my view, and I don't mean security.

I know this has been raised with Solar a little time ago, but I wonder if you have addressed this issue any further? As I recall, you said that although the data could be downloaded for backup/archiving it could not actually be opened on the current offline version of the program. Personally, I would use and remain loyal to any provider who gave this option, even at added cost!

Posted by Paula Bloomer on Jan 2, 2019 2:51 PM GMT

Unfortunately I don't think we are able to meet your exact requirements about, but here are several relevant points:

1. Currently if you contact Solar Accounts support we can provide you with a copy of your online data as a .slr file which you can open in the offline version of Solar Accounts. However, we cannot promise that we will always be able to offer this service in future - sorry.

2. The online version allows you to create a backup file on your computer as described here:
    https://www.solaraccounts.co.uk/forum/topic.php?TopicId=2189&Posts=1
    However, backup files created this way can only be read by Solar Accounts Online (not the old offline version)

3. When you cancel your online subscription you can continue to have access to your data in read-only mode for 2 years (you must request this read-only access at the time you cancel)

4. You can export your transaction and customer data to spreadsheets for unlimited offline access.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jan 2, 2019 3:23 PM GMT