Forum Message

Customer outside the UK ..

Hi Guys,

I am seriously looking at buying this accounts app. I like its simplicity as I am a one man small company. I am here in Rep of Ireland.

Before buying I just want to be sure of a few things.

I understand the app is geared toward the UK market for VAT RETURNS and the like, this is OK as all I need is the VAT report in the app to figure out what I owe to our Revenue Commissioners, I do not need to actually get the app itself to fill out the return, I do that myself via Vat Return Form.

From what I see I can change the VAT Rates and also the base currency that Solar handles.

Any other pitfalls or things that might catch a non UK user?

I am looking for a simple app to handle invoices, purchases, VAT ( not actual returns, only to calculate amount owed ) , expenses. Solar seems to tick all the boxes.

As an aside can I buy Solar ex VAT by furnishing a VAT number as I am outside the UK juristiction and UK VAT free in this regard?

Also - at any stage in the next while will you be expanding to non UK ( European ) markets? A Euro version? Solar without the VAT Return online feature maybe, this is all I can see making the app UK specific along with the odd mention of UK Supplier under VAT Treatment and HM Revenue and Customs.

Appreciate any input,
Cheers
Aidan

Posted by Aidan O Driscoll on May 19, 2009 8:25 PM BST

Hi Aidan,

We occassionally sell Solar Accounts licences to businesses in Ireland and so far have had no reported problems. I think you have identified the main issues in using Solar Accounts in Ireland: You will need to change the VAT rate and currency symbol but that is about it. The format of the VAT Return report will not be useful in Ireland, except that the net amount due to the tax authorities should be the same.

When buying Solar Accounts if the registered address of your credit card is outside the UK you will not be charged VAT - we will then email you asking for your Irish VAT registration number.

Cheers,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on May 20, 2009 10:32 AM BST

Sorry forgot to address your last question: We have considered producing a version of Solar Accounts designed for businesses in RoI, but this is not currently a high priority for us (sorry!)

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on May 20, 2009 10:37 AM BST