Forum Message

Bank Recociliation

I am not sure I really understand the way the recon works. It allows you to move transactions up and down to enable them to match your bank statement (to ease reconciliation) - but SOLAR does NOT then adjust the entries in bank account to show these convenient changes - so what does it do ??

Posted by Alan Rick on Jun 16, 2009 7:39 AM BST

Hi Alan,

Yes you're correct - changing the order of transactions in the Bank Reconciliation window allows the Bank Balance column to exactly match your bank statement. This simplifies the reconciliation process, but it has no affect outside the Bank Reconciliation window.

The reason is that your view of your cheque account is more accurate than the bank's view (I know that sounds odd but bear with me!). For example, let's say your bank balance is £3,000 and you write a cheque to buy a van for £3,000 - what is the 'value' of your cheque account? Your supplier might not bank the cheque for a week - during this time your bank balance will remain £3,000. However, you know that your supplier has a legitimate claim over that money, so the real value of the cheque account is zero. The same is true for cheques you receive - as soon as you deposit them, the value of the cheque account increases, even if the cheques don't clear for several days. For this reason Solar Accounts normally uses the transaction date you specify when ordering transactions.

I hope this makes sense - please let me know if you need more information.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jun 16, 2009 9:48 AM BST

It makes perfect sense...... but in my case the issue is the order of transaction with the same date. Let me explain....

If I know I have a large payment going out of my account, say to Credit Card company, then I use my on-line banking to make a transfer from deposit account for the same day. The bank processes the outgoing payment after recognising the incoming transfer – hence no overdraft shown. Solar processes the transactions in the other order, showing an overdraft, albeit intra-day. Just a little messy.

Alan

Posted by Alan Rick on Jun 16, 2009 10:28 AM BST

Hi Alan,

Ah I see the problem now. I'll note this problem and add it to our 'to do' list.

Cheers,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jun 16, 2009 1:46 PM BST