Forum Message

Backup problems in Solar Accounts

Hi Mark.

First, praise where praise is due, I must say I think Solar Accounts in great.

We spoke a couple of weeks ago about the way Solar accounts backs up. Sorry to go on, but I need to put this down in writing:

I might create a Backup file one week, not use Solar for a few days. Going back to it, I am told I have not created a backup for 28, 72,.. whatever days. Strange, in itself! Solar asks if I'd like to create a backup now, to which I say "yes". So, fopr example, today I open Backup 29 and it creates new file Backup 30, but the system continues to use Backup 29 (this I discovered only recently - but does everyone know this if you don't look at the top of the screen). I add my invoices etc and close down. Here we have the problems, I'm sure you are aware of:-

1. When you open Solar again, you automatically go for the latest Backup file, in this example 30, but the latest inputs are not there - they've been added to 29 So, you automatically think you've lost them. That's if you notice at all at the time. If you don't notice/ don't check (and believe me you don't always, if ever), and you merrily plod on inputting, all your new invoices get given the same PUR, INV reference numbers as the previously session (29). When and if you discover this, it creates a load of work re-inputting the duplicated data. It happened to me, I know; right at the end of the VAT period. I'd had had a few sessions adding data, only to discover a load of invoices missing from the system. Do you understand what I am getting at?

2. I created a new backup at Solar's request on startup - opening 29 it created Backup 30, and as per above continued using 29. When I next manually created a backup it choose Backup 30 again. Why is this, when minutes earlier it had created that number backup?

I am sure looking through some of the FAQs that some of the problem people are encountering with missing data, incorrect figures could be down to not fully understanding the way the Backup files work. I found out the hard way. It would be good to see if this could be addressed and made easier.

I hope you understand what I've tried to put across in this epic. Thanks for your time and any assistance you can give.

Best regards
Mike

Posted by Mike Aldworth on Oct 26, 2009 11:28 AM GMT

Hi Mike,

Thank you for taking the time to explain the problem. I can certainly see why this is very frustrating.

The root problem is that we did not anticipate the way a user might treat the backup files. Solar Accounts is designed to store all the data in a 'main' file - for example, "ABC Limited", then make backups named "ABC Limited (Backup)", "ABC Limited (Backup 2)", "ABC Limited (Backup 3)", etc. This is why it continues to use the existing file after it has created a backup - it considers the one you open to be the 'main' file. In addition, Solar Accounts is not clever enough to look for existing backups when suggesting a backup file name.

Clearly this is something we need to improve. We cannot make promises about future development, but we will aim to improve this behaviour in a future release.

Thanks again,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Oct 27, 2009 8:54 AM GMT

Mark

I have had the same problem as Mike. I have managed to "lose" my main file in the sense that I cannot remember where I put it.
Could you let us know the suffixes of the main file and backup files so I can track them down on y hard drive and correct as you suggest in your answer to Mike.

Posted by Jonathan Holloway on Oct 28, 2009 10:16 AM GMT

Hi Mike,

The extension for all Solar Accounts data files is ".slr" - this applies to both the main file and backup files. Let me know if you need help searching your computer for files of this type.

Cheers,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Oct 28, 2009 10:32 AM GMT

Hi Mark,
Although still testing Solar(by the way it's fantastic so far) I came across this backup issue. My question would be, why would you open and WORK with a backup file?! This is why this chap is having these problems.
This clearly is against convention of backing anything up.

Posted by H.Patel on Jun 3, 2010 5:59 PM BST

Hello H Patel,

Yes, it would have been better if Solar Accounts had not allow the backup file to be edited, and instead provided a method of 'restoring' a backup file to the main file.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jun 4, 2010 8:50 AM BST

from Alan O'Duffy > i am a big fan of Solar as you know ... haveing the same mini problem with back up files... so invoices disappearing because i opened the back up file stupidly ... all help appreciated indeed Mark and have a brilliant new year indeed alan

Posted by Alan O'Duffy on Jan 4, 2013 3:03 PM GMT

Hi Alan,

If you find yourself accidentally opening backup files, the best solution is to always open your file from Windows by navigating to the Documents folder and double-clicking on the file. Do NOT click 'Open Existing File' in Solar Accounts.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jan 5, 2013 10:47 AM GMT