Forum Message

Why does Solar Accounts only run under an Administrator user?

Why does Solar Accounts only run under an Administrator user?
I run my own business and have a PC set up with an Administrator id which I only use for administrative tasks (which includes program installation) but for normal everyday use, we have various standard user id's. All other programs I have installed are quite happy to run under a standard user id.

Is there any reason why Solar Accounts requires Windows administrator access? Is there something I can change in the program settings to allow it to run under a standard user id?

NB. I am running the trial version at present and considering purchase of the full version, but if it has this restriction I will probably have to consider other software.

Posted by Phil Broomsgrove on Sep 30, 2008 12:37 PM BST

Hello Phil,

That's a good question. Solar Accounts requires Administrator privileges to be installed, but it is designed to be run from a standard user account. However, it appears that on some configurations of Windows XP the program will not start in non-administrator mode (and doesn't even display an error message). We will look into this problem and I will let you know the outcome of our investigation.

Cheers,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Sep 30, 2008 12:37 PM BST

Hello Phil,

Thanks for reporting this problem. After further investigation we've identified a bug in Solar Accounts which can prevent you from running it as a standard user. We will fix the bug in the next release, but here's a temporary work-around:
1. Log in as an administrator
2. Navigate to "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Solar Accounts" and delete the files err.log and out.log
3. Log out and log in as a standard user

You should then be able to run the software as a standard user.

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Oct 1, 2008 9:28 AM BST

Mark,
Thanks for the prompt response.
Have done as you suggested and can report that Solar Accounts is now running under a standard user login.

regards,
Phil Broomsgrove

Posted by Phil Broomsgrove on Oct 1, 2008 9:46 AM BST

Hello Phil,

That's good to hear. Thanks for taking the time to let us know about the problem.

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Oct 1, 2008 10:38 AM BST