Forum Message

Should Balancing Account be zero?

I've entered all my starting balances for bank accounts and credit cards for the start of 08/09 financial year.
Then I entered all my transactions and reconciled the statements and the closing balances for all accounts now match.

Unfortunately the balancing account is showing an opening & closing balanced of around £9k and I'm not sure why this is?

I assume the blancing account has to be zero or the accounts are incorrect?

Posted by Gary Prendergast on Dec 23, 2009 9:16 AM GMT

Hmmmm, could this be the answer?

The balancing account is attempting to resolve the difference between my opening current account balance (£12k) and my opening amex balance £3k. So it balances £9k equity because it doesn't know where this £9k came from?

In reality of course the£12k opening balance of my current account came from 'retained earnings' from the previous year but because I started the using solar from 08/09 then my retained earnings starting balance was £0 which is not true.

Could I correct this by simply entering the 'balance account' opening balance as the 'retained earnings' opening balance?

Posted by Gary Prendergast on Dec 23, 2009 9:26 AM GMT

Hello Gary,

Yes, you have got it exactly. The balancing account is used to 'balance' the other accounts to ensure that total assets equals total liabilities plus equity - ideally it should be zero. If you set the retained earnings opening balance to £9,000 the system will automatically set the balancing account to zero.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Dec 23, 2009 9:54 AM GMT