Forum Message

Credit card charged twice

Could you please help me with recording this transaction in Solar accounts?
I purchased with VISA and obtained an invoice for the correct amount from the supplier. Transaction recorded as normal.
On checking my online VISA statement, the purchase had been credited to my VISA twice, as two separate payments for the same amount. I returned to the supplier who gave me a cash refund for one of the amounts credited.
The purchase still stays on my VISA account, twice, to be paid next month. I have an invoice for only one payment and I have one payment returned in cash to the petty cash account.
Hope you follow me!. Thanks in advance. Regards, Brian Gouldney

Posted by Brian Gouldney on Sep 16, 2010 3:46 PM BST

Hi Brian,

For the first Visa transaction, record a purchase as normal (eg., create a Money Paid Out transaction paid from the Visa account and allocated to the appropriate expense account).

For the second (unauthorised) Visa transaction, first create a new Asset account called 'Refunds Due'. When your credit card is charged record a General Transaction from the Visa account to the Refunds Due account. When you receive the cash record a General Transaction from the Refunds Due account to the Petty Cash account.

Cheers,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Sep 16, 2010 5:14 PM BST