Forum Message

Handling a person who is both Customer and Supplier

I'm still on the trial software and still hoping to make solar accounts work in my situation. So I'm probably going have a few silly question for the next few days. Starting with.....

I'm currently trying to import customer and supplier records from my previous accounts packages. What is the best way to handle someone who is both a customer and a supplier? The import will not allow me to import a supplier with the same name as customer. Is it best to create new name such as "John Smith (Supplier)" or should I use the customer instance when adding purchase transactions.

As of today, I have a new customer who has exactly the same name as an existing customer. I don't really want to send invoices out to "John Smith2" - what is the best advice for handling this situation. Actually, thinking about this as I type, this isn't the first time I've had customers with identical names.... in previous accounts programs it wasn't an issue, I assume because I could assign different customer IDs. I guess when I did the import one customer has probably over written the other?

Posted by Ian M Butterfield on Sep 27, 2010 12:02 PM BST

Hi Ian,

For a customer who is also a supplier, you can either record the purchase by raising a sales credit note, or create a separate supplier account and adjust the balance of the customer and supplier accounts using credit notes. See this page for details:
http://www.solaraccounts.co.uk/forum/topic.php?TopicId=704&Posts=1

For two customers with the same name, you will need to add text to distinguish the name in Solar Accounts. For example:
J Smith (JS04)
J Smith (JS05)
or
J Smith (Yorkshire)
J Smith (Sussex)

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Sep 27, 2010 2:25 PM BST