Forum Message

Zero Amount Invoices

I've read that Solar Accounts has a problem with zero amount invoices etc. This would cause us a problem. If this the case and how would I document this?:-

1: We collect damaged vehicles under contract (on behalf of insurance Companies) from garages who recover them from accidents, etc. We cannot charge for this, but must issue an invoice to InsCo. for zero, it is a requirement.

(a) If we pay out any charges to the garage on behalf of the insurance company, we must invoice the ins Co. for reimbursement of the amount paid out only.

eg: Disbursements: 100.00 + Collection: 0.00 = InvoiceTotal: 100.00

(b) If we don't pay any charges to the garage, we must invoice the insurance company for zero amount, it is required for their files/records of Ins Claim.
eg: Disbursements: 0.00 + Collection: 0.00 = Invoice Total: 0.00

2: Sometimes we are given the vehicle for free and we have to dispose of it then complete the relevant DVLA & environment agency paperwork, etc. The InsCo gives us a sales invoice for 0.00 Nil amount, which is entered into our accounts.
Vehicle purchase cost = 0.00

3: Sometimes the vehicle is collected from us by another agent, in this case we have to supply them with a zero charge invoice 0.00.
Vehicle Sale = 0.00

All points 1/2/3 have to be documented/invoiced along the route of the vehicle changing hands. This is a requirement. We nearly lost an insurance contract and nearly got into trouble with the Police some time ago for not following procedure. We have strictly adhered to this process since and had no further problems.

So what I want to know is, how can I issue:-

A job invoice to Ins.Co. for zero amount = Collection 0.00 (zero to pay)

A purchase invoice for the vehicle for zero amount = vehicle 0.00 (zero to pay)

A sales invoice for vehicle going out for zero amount = vehicle 0.00 (zero to pay)

No money will ever exchange hands, but the physical documentation must exist and be must be recorded in our accounts. We also keep vehicle photos and claim details stapled to the various invoices, again compulsory.

Posted by Paul on Feb 13, 2011 5:11 PM GMT

Hello Paul,

Unfortunately Solar Accounts cannot produce invoices with zero total amount. You will need to use other software (such as Microsoft Word or Excel) to produce these invoices.

Note that one way to produce an Excel invoice 'template' is to export an invoice from Solar Accounts to an Excel spreadsheet - you can then edit the figures using Excel.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Feb 14, 2011 8:27 AM GMT

That seems a long winded way to get a zero amount invoice. Why can't such powerful software as SA achieve something so simple?

Also, surely messing about altering figures externally will cause problems with VAT returns/year end figures etc.?

After I posted I read other messages in your forum from people who have also been requesting zero amount invoices for a long while.. Is this something you will be implementing? When??

I already create invoices in WORD then use a database for sales invoices and another database for purchase invoices, etc. but I'd much rather have everything in one package to save time.

Posted by Paul on Feb 14, 2011 1:05 PM GMT

Hi Paul,

Yes I agree that it would be better for Solar Accounts to produce zero-amount invoices. We've noted this as a feature request in our system, but we cannot make promises about future development of Solar Accounts. I'll record your email address to be notified if we add this feature in future.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Feb 14, 2011 1:48 PM GMT

Thanks Mark, much appreciated.

I thought it would be easy to implement zero amount invoices but harder to disallow them. I have no problem with zero amounts in my database calculations or in spreadsheets. Zero is still an amount, it's not as though the data field is left blank!

This is the only thing holding me back from buying Solar Accounts, so I shall keep a look out for your email in due course.

Posted by Paul on Feb 14, 2011 6:39 PM GMT