Forum Message

Items duplicating themselves spontaneously

We had three items that have somehow been duplicated, though each had only been entered once. Two were payments out, and one was an inpayment that had been assigned to an invoice.
We cannot understand at all how this could have happened - is it spontaneous? Might it somehow be related to the fact that we exchange invoice data (but NOT expenses data) by csv file exchange and import?

Posted by Peter on Feb 21, 2011 4:59 PM GMT

Hi Peter,

If you import data from a CSV file then Solar Accounts will look for a transaction with the same type and ID as the one being imported. If it finds an existing transaction it will be updated, otherwise it will create a new transaction.

The simplest way to determine the cause of this problem is to repeatedly click menu Edit > Undo until you discover the action that created the multiple transactions. (Note: Take a backup before you start undoing your recent activity).

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Feb 21, 2011 5:07 PM GMT

Following a clean-up exercise me & our Treasurer had copies of our Village Hall accounts that were identical and clean of any duplicated entries.

** This is the way we have been doing things since we started using Solar. I create ALL invoices and customers, the Treasurer does NOT. I report them as csv to him, and he uses them to record incomes against.

Following the last "duplicate entires" episode, we both have been extra careful (though both are very experienced in bookkeeping issues, so don't regard ourselves as ever incautious at the ketboyarsd). But when I got his latest csv export (he sends me everything, so in a sense it's a backup) there were three NEW duplications of inpayments to invoices, leading them to show in the "open" folder with a red marker. He had NOT done any entries on these items since late December, and they did NOT show as duplicates/overpaid before this export/import.
Sorry Solar - but this is NOT us. Any comments please - other than 'undo', which isn't relevant, methinks?

Posted by Peter on Mar 1, 2011 11:33 AM GMT

HI Peter,

Please email me your data file and let me know the ID of the duplicate transactions. This will give me a better understanding of the problem.

Thanks

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Mar 1, 2011 12:59 PM GMT