Forum Message

Few Questions

Hello there,

I've just recently registered as self employed and I've just downloaded the trial of Solar Accounts. Before I found out about your software I had tried TAS Basics and Quickbooks. Your software appears far simpler to use, however I've got a question...

When creating a purchase invoice lets say the item is £17.99 plus £1.95 postage. I know for the item I set the account to 'Cost of Goods Sold' would you include the postage in item cost or add another entry with a different account for the £1.95? I hope that makes sense...

Thanks very much!
Jase

Posted by Jmitservices on Mar 4, 2011 4:41 AM GMT

Hi Jase,

I'm glad to hear you like our software! I would simply include postage in the 'Cost of Goods Sold'. Note that if you are VAT-registered you may need to have two lines on the purchase invoice - one for the goods with VAT at 17.5% and another for the postage with VAT at 0%.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Mar 4, 2011 10:36 AM GMT

Mark this is something that people get wrong quite a lot. Postage is only 0% Vat rated when you purchase from the post office. When you charge postage you have to charge Vat at 20%.

Posted by Tom Beattie on Mar 4, 2011 11:16 AM GMT

Hi Tom,

Well spotted! Yes I stand corrected - in this case the postage will most likely be 20%.

Thanks,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Mar 4, 2011 11:21 AM GMT

Thanks for the reply! I'm not VAT registered so it shouldn't matter for me.

Are there any plans to make a nice fancy overview on the home screen like TAS/Sage?

Thanks,
Jase

Posted by Jase on Mar 4, 2011 2:45 PM GMT

Hi Jase,

An 'overview' page is on our list of things to do, but it not currently a priority.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Mar 5, 2011 12:46 PM GMT

Ah thats good!

I also offer a few web services which are reoccurring monthly/yearly. Is it possible to automatically produce an invoice etc...?

Thanks again,
Jase

Posted by Jmitservices on Mar 5, 2011 5:49 PM GMT

Hi Jase,

You can set up a monthly schedule in the Money Received window (click the 'Repeat' button in the bottom-left of the window). However, you cannot set a repeating schedule for invoices.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Mar 6, 2011 1:03 PM GMT