Forum Message

Keeping purchases and ID numbers in date order

I keep my purchase invoices in date of issue order (not date received order) and the purchase ID number (which I stamp on each invoice to match) to run in the same sequence/date order. I assume I can enter purchase invoices with any date into Solar Accounts at any time and they will just be placed into the correct date order? Eg. if I suddenly find I've missed 6 or 7 invoices from 2 months ago I can enter them now and they'll be put in the correct place/date order. But what effect will this have on the purchase ID numbers? eg: if I start the year by telling solar that 1st purchase this year is ID#001 and go from there, but then enter missing invoices as mentioned above, will Solar Accounts automatically renumber the purchase invoice ID numbers to take account of the missing invoices which have now been inserted? If not, how would this situation be handled?

Posted by Paul on Apr 9, 2011 5:30 PM BST

Hi Paul,

Solar Accounts will automatically sort invoices in date order. However, by default it will assign IDs in the order you enter the transactions - it will not re-number the IDs of existing invoices. If you don't want to do it this way then you will need to manually adjust the IDs of the invoices.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Apr 10, 2011 1:03 PM BST

Good to hear about the dates, but not too good about the inflexibility of the ID's.

From what you say I assume there's no option to wait until end of month or quarter (or whatever period) when all purchase invoices should be entered, then select all the purchases for the period concerned, then just click a "renumber ID's" button?

I have database software which does this by just requiring the first starting ID, then just click "renumber" to keep them all in sync with the date, all nice and neat.

Would this be a difficult feature to add to Solar Accounts?

Posted by Paul on Apr 10, 2011 4:19 PM BST

Hi Paul,

Yes you are correct - you will need to manually change the ID values of each invoice.

We think it is preferable to keep the original IDs rather than changing them (even if it means the IDs aren't always in date order) so it is unlikely we will add an 'automatic renumbering' feature in future.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Apr 11, 2011 10:08 AM BST