Forum Message

"New Customer" button from "Money Received"

Hi,

When creating a new invoice and selecting which customer the invoice relates to, there is a "New Customer" button in the drop down box to quickly create a new customer.

Is there a reason why this isn't available when filling in the "Money Received" form?

I'm looking at sorting my own accounts (and then passing these to an accountant to file etc) rather than use a book keeper, so I may just be doing something that I'm not supposed to do - which is create payments coming in but skip the step of using invoices, since we're delivering digital content and don't really invoice a user as such.

In addition to this, is there a reason why payments have to be tied to a customer, most of our customers make one off purchases rather than dealing with us on an on-going basis, so creating and keeping customer records for each of these people will be a pain (however if it's something that has to be done then I'll do it).

Obviously I need to speak to my accountant about these things but for these two specific questions I thought you guys could help, perhaps it's just to do with this specific software.

Thanks

PS - hopefully my last post, will be purchasing Solar Accounts soon. As much as I'd rather do my accounts in "the cloud" personally, I'm unable to find any accounting software - online or offline - which is as easy to use as Solar Accounts.. loving the product.

Posted by Mike Hayes on Apr 16, 2011 1:48 AM BST

Ah, this explains my question about not using invoices:

http://www.solaraccounts.co.uk/help/how-to-record-a-cash-sale.php

"Note: A cash sale records a payment at the time you make a sale. If you allow a customer to delay payment, you should record this as an invoice."

Brilliant :)

Now just about that "new customer" link when typing in the customer in the "Money Received" dialogue... is this a possibility for the future?

Posted by Mike Hayes on Apr 16, 2011 2:39 AM BST

Hi Mike,

Glad to hear you like Solar Accounts!

As you have discovered, you don't need to create an invoice to record a sale - you can just create a Money Received payment with the Type field set to 'General Payment' and allocated to the Sales Income account.

If you don't need to keep track of individual customers, you can set the Received From field to 'Unknown Customer'. The reason that this field does not have a 'New Customer' field is that a customer will automatically be created if Solar Accounts cannot find a customer record with that name. Ideally the invoice window should also do this, but we haven't got to that yet :)

Regards

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Apr 16, 2011 2:01 PM BST