Forum Message

Transferring from Microsoft Accounts

Hi there,

I've been trying out Solar accounts and it's excellent I really like it. I'm currently using Microsoft Accounting 2009 Professional and it's like a clunky old car in comparison to Solar.

Can you tell me how I would go about a few things:

1. enter opening balances - My financial year ended on the end of the tax year, so would you enter the opening balances as of the 5th April, or the 6th of April

2. I provide services and have a few invoices where clients are paying up their accounts, so across the financial year I have invoices that were issued last financial year, but have balances paid in this financial year, so how would i record it so that I can mark the invoices as paid without duplicating the invoice or income as the income has already been counted in full in my accounts for the previous year

3. I am about to start selling goods online and am wondering about importing orders from my ecommerce site. IS there a way to import customers, orders etc through the solar accounts software using csv, or excel spreadsheets?

Thanks

Tom

Posted by Tom Bathgate on May 6, 2011 1:05 PM BST

Hi Tom,

1. Enter the opening balances as at the end of the 5th April. For reports such as Balance Sheet the report date 'as of 5 April' means at the end of the 5th April, after all transactions on that date have been considered.

2. For any invoices which are outstanding at the start of your financial year, create the invoice dated in the previous year and set the Account to 'Retained Earnings'.

3. Yes - see this page for details of how to import customers and transactions from a CSV file:
    http://www.solaraccounts.co.uk/help/how-to-import-data-from-csv-file.php

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on May 6, 2011 1:21 PM BST