Forum Message

Uk company Irish Vat number

How to enter into Solar accounts. ie Supplier is UK but has invoiced with Irish Vat number for a show later in the year in Dublin.

Do I enter Purchase of Goods or Services from UK Supplier or Purchases of Services from EU Supplier?

Posted by Tom Beattie on Jul 5, 2011 1:01 PM BST

Hi Tom,

I take it your supplier is charging you the Irish VAT rate (ie. 21%). In that case you will need to set the VAT Treatment to 'Out of Scope' and add another line for VAT as described here:
http://solaraccounts.co.uk/help/how-to-reclaim-eu-vat.php

Regards

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jul 5, 2011 1:20 PM BST

If your supplier has zero VAT-rated the invoice as per EU reverse charging rules, it's an EU purchase. I take it your VAT number is also on the invoice?

HtH

Posted by David McCann on Jul 5, 2011 2:08 PM BST

Hi HtH
The show we are attending is in Dublin, the company organising the show is based in London but has UK and Irish Vat registration. This particular invoice is invoiced under there Irish Vat registration. Our Vat number is not shown, however my understanding is that as we are not receiving anything into the UK we have to pay the Irish Vat and then reclaim it through HMRc.

Posted by Tom Beattie on Jul 7, 2011 8:36 AM BST

Hi Tom,

If your supplier is charging you Irish VAT then you will need to reclaim it separately from the normal UK VAT return. I think the link I gave is applicable in your case.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jul 7, 2011 8:48 AM BST

If you are doing a show in Dublin you will have to register with the Revenue authorities in the ROI & account for the ROI VAT on sales made at the show. You can then offset the input VAT charged to you by the supplier against the output VAT on the show sales.
When you are registered in the Republic you will have to make VAT returns. For those periods when you are not doing a show, just send in Nil returns. The alternative is to de-register after you make the return for the period in which the show is held & then re-register the next time you do a show in Dublin.

Posted by Jack on Jul 7, 2011 1:17 PM BST

In my last posting I assumed that you are selling at the show. If not, the earlier advice applies.
Sorry if I have confused the issue.

Posted by Jack on Jul 7, 2011 1:23 PM BST