Forum Message

VAT

Hi

Have entered all my transactions and when i get a summary it correctly shows the vat that is owed.

For some reason when compiling the vat return, the return is out - two general transactions do not appear.

Posted by Martin Reader on Jul 24, 2011 6:17 AM BST

Hi Martin,

Check that the VAT period is the same in both cases. Does that resolve the problem?

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jul 24, 2011 9:47 AM BST

I think my problem is how i have posted the transaction - the payment for gas and petrol was posted via general transactions, should these transactions be set up as purchase invoice accounts?

Posted by Martin Reader on Jul 24, 2011 3:03 PM BST

Hi Martin,

Yes - Solar Accounts treats all General Transactions as 'Out of Scope' so they have no effect on the VAT return. Instead, create a Money Paid Out transaction with the Type field set to 'General Payment' and the VAT Treatment field set to 'Purchase of Goods or Services from UK Supplier'.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jul 24, 2011 3:13 PM BST

Is it possible to run a out of scope report to check anything which may have been posted incorrectly.

Posted by Tom Beattie on Jul 24, 2011 7:22 PM BST

Hi Tom,

No, Solar Accounts doesn't have a report specifically designed to show out of scope transactions. However, you could export your transactions to a CSV file then use the filter feature in Microsoft Excel to only show transactions where the VAT Treatment column is zero or the Type is 'General Transaction'.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jul 25, 2011 10:39 AM BST