Forum Message

Entering VAT if not registered

I'm a selfemployed, not vat registered.
Company where I'm buying domains giving me invoices where domains are listed without VAT and total VAT are added at the end.

Problem is that I cant add the vat in Invoices to pay when I'm not VAT registered.

Posted by Solver on Dec 24, 2008 11:42 PM GMT

If you are not VAT registered you do not need to enter any VAT amount into Solar Accounts - simply enter the full amount you are charged (including VAT).

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Dec 25, 2008 11:03 AM GMT

Hi,

But when I'm buying 5 domains on one transaction, each domain is listed with price without VAT on the invoice form Domain company. I cant type total price for all of them if they are listed separate.

I have another question:
Lets say that I just bought few domain so in Solar Account I'm selecting:
NEW -> Invoices -> Purchase Invoice
Of course invoice was paid in same day so in "Paid Today" is full amount. That creating me "Invoice Payment" for that transaction. Why "Paid From Account" is always "Cheque Account"?
When you select that transacion (£25) in "Transactions" and show "related trasactions" that will show you "Invoice Payment" too. But why at the bottom bar is:
Total Debits: £50, Toatal Credits: £50
I just made one transaction for £25 so why is like that?

Best regards,

Posted by Solver on Dec 25, 2008 1:24 PM GMT

You will have to manually calculate the VAT-inclusive price for each invoice line (ie. multiply the amount by 1.15)

The 'Paid Today' field is a shortcut which allows you to create the payment at the same time you create the invoice. When it does this it uses the default Paid From Account. This is initially 'Cheque Account', but you can change the default payment account:
http://www.solaraccounts.co.uk/help/how-to-change-the-default-payment-account.php

The reason for total debits/credits being £50 is that you have created two transactions for £25 - the invoice and the associated payment.

Having said all this, it's probably easier for you to NOT enter a purchase invoice - just click menu File > New > Money Paid Out and enter the payment details. You only really need to create a purchase invoice if your supplier allows you to delay payment on a purchase.

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Dec 25, 2008 2:47 PM GMT

Thanks for answers.

I still have problem with understanding why PURCHASE INVOICE is counted as a payment if your program creating separate INVOICE PAYMENTS.

You said that I should use purchase invoce only if my supplier allows me to delay payment. And let say that I have sytuation like that and I will pay after one week. That will create Invoice payment and I will have 2 transactions for £25.

That is causing that I cant really say how many transaction I've made and how many money I spent because eveything is doubled.

Posted by Solver on Dec 25, 2008 6:12 PM GMT

Hi Mariusz,

Think of a purchase invoice as buying something using a 'loan' from your supplier. When you pay the invoice, you are repaying the loan. Most accounting programs will create two separate transactions in such cases.

To see how much money you have spent, you can filter the Transactions list to only show Money Paid Out. You can also double-click on an expense account in the Profit and Loss report to view transactions for that expense.

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Dec 26, 2008 9:57 AM GMT