Forum Message

tax rebate

Hi following our year end, we have received a refund from HMRC, How do we book this receipt,
We have created a supplier and received the money in, however this has booked the value against our vat liability account?

Posted by Pete Jenkins on Feb 5, 2012 2:55 PM GMT

Hi Pete,

It depends on the type of tax. If it is a VAT refund then it is correct to use the 'VAT Liability' account. If it is corporation tax (ie. your business is a limited company) then change the From Account to 'Corporation Tax Liability'. If it is personal income tax (ie. you are self-employed) then set the From Account to 'Owners Drawings and Personal Use'.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Feb 5, 2012 5:52 PM GMT

Hi,
I have this same situation for a Corp Tax Refund for my Ltd Co. I've tried entering a General Transaction from Corp Tax Liability to my current account, but that leaves an outstanding balance on my Corp Tax Liability, should I add some kind of Credit Note too?

Thanks,

Posted by Daniel on Dec 4, 2014 11:53 AM GMT

Hi Daniel,

If you are due to receive a tax refund then your Corporation Tax Liability balance should be negative, and the General Transaction increases the balance to zero. In order to have a negative balance in the liability account before recording the refund, you need to either (a) create an earlier tax payment larger than the corporation tax expense; or (b) decrease the opening balance of the Corporation Tax Liability account.

Please check with your accountant for the best approach in your case.

Regards

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Dec 4, 2014 1:04 PM GMT