Forum Message

Preparing Vat Return saying nothing to be paid

Trying to do a VAT return & my account is saying no vat is due on the last quarter.
I know this incorrect.
I have not changed any settings, etc. & it worked fine for the last quarter ending November.

Posted by Aaron on Mar 7, 2012 8:03 AM GMT

I should add... my VAT Liability is showing the amount of VAT I am expecting to pay.

Posted by Aaron on Mar 7, 2012 8:04 AM GMT

Hi Aaron,

The most likely explanation is that you have told Solar Accounts to use the 'cash method' to calculate the figures on your VAT return, but you don't have any invoice payments dated within the VAT period. Does that resolve the problem?

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Mar 7, 2012 8:07 AM GMT

I have not changed anything - can you tell me where this option is so I can check?

Posted by Aaron on Mar 7, 2012 6:00 PM GMT

Hi Aaron,

Click menu Setup > Contact Details & VAT, then look for the 'VAT Is Calculated' field. If it is set to 'When Payments Are Received' then you are using the cash method for calculating the figures on the VAT return.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Mar 8, 2012 8:17 AM GMT

yes, that is how it has it has always been set up.
Why is it only now that its causing a problem?
Its fixed the problem :) so Thanks for that.

Posted by Aaron on Mar 8, 2012 8:46 AM GMT

Hi Aaron,

It could be than in the previous VAT period all the invoice payments were received in the same VAT period as their associated invoices. In that case the 'cash method' would produce the same figures as the normal method.

Now that you have changed the VAT settings you should view the VAT Return Detail report for the period ending November and check that the figures are still the same as when you submitted them.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Mar 8, 2012 12:55 PM GMT