Forum Message

Another mileage question...

Hi, I'm currently trialing Solar Accounts and am impressed in it's simplicity.
I've looked at pretty much all software for mac and windows and I think I've found 'the one'. Just two simple questions I have;

I am self-employed and this year have swapped from end of year percentage deductions for mileage etc to the per mile rate. I pay for all fuel from the business account regardless of private/business use.

I must still have to record the fuel receipt; 'Cheque Account' credits the 'Motor Expenses' account.... so how do I then allocate the personal amount?

Secondly; If I purchase something from my personal account for the business, how do I account for this in the business?

Thanks for creating this simple software.

David Simpson

Posted by David Simpson on Jul 13, 2012 8:34 PM BST

Hi David,

Glad to hear you like our software! To answer your questions:

1. Although you make one payment for fuel, I think it's simplest to record two transactions in Solar Accounts: The first is a normal Money Paid Out transaction from the Cheque Account allocated to Motor Expenses; the second is a General Transaction from the Cheque Account to the 'Owners Drawings and Personal Use' account.

2. When you pay for a business expense with your personal funds create a Money Paid Out transaction in the normal way (ie. allocated to an expense account) but set the Paid From Account field to 'Owners Drawings and Personal Use'.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jul 14, 2012 3:41 PM BST