Forum Message

Bank reconciliation - an enhancement would be nice when you get 10 mins :>)

Hi Mark

On the bank reconciliation screen (such a great and easy concept that - love it!, it saves me hours tracking everything down every month).....

...... would it be possible in a future build to include a "Ref" column between the existing Date and Memo columns that could include the Invoice number for Payments received rather than just having the customer details in the Memo field (although it could go in there alongside that text instead I guess?)

Could this also then pull in any other relevent detail like our Cheque Number if it was a "Money paid out" transaction rather than income (assuming that info has been input and is available)

This extra info would be helpful in tracking down similar amounts for different customers/suppliers that we experience on occasions. ( I can't quite get my head around whether or not that info is available to be shown - I'm sure you'll know if it is or not and if this could subsequently be achieved)

Many thanks for all your good work and fast responses, much appreciated.

Alan

Posted by Alan Eastough on Aug 8, 2012 1:17 PM BST

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your feedback - I'm glad to hear you like our software!

Regarding the invoice number: Just so I understand, are you saying that on your bank statement each payment includes details of what invoice has been paid but not what customer has made the payment?

Regarding the cheque number: Solar Accounts doesn't have a separate field for this - the simplest approach is to add the cheque no to the Journal Memo field. It would then appear in the Description column in the Bank Reconciliation list.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Aug 8, 2012 4:23 PM BST

Hi Mark, I trust you are well, and thanks for your immediate response.

On our Bank statements, because we deal with Local Authorities (LA's), several Invoices to separate schools (our direct customers who have been sent individual invoices), will have these individual invoices included within a single BACS "blanket payment" from the LA, so school details are usually shown in the Memo text, but the invoice number is often hidden within the lump blanket payment fom the LA. We may have several payments for the same amounts from different schools (or even the same school more than once), in a single LA BACS payment. If the memo or a new "Ref" field included the invoice number detail, this could assist with us knowing which schools payments are included within items in the reconciliation list.....does that complicated explanation make it easier or have I confused you even more?

We already do as you suggest for cheque numbers which works ok - (when I remember to add them!)

Thanks, Alan

Posted by Alan Eastough on Aug 8, 2012 5:24 PM BST

Hi Alan,

Yes I see what you mean - you are in the unusual situation of receiving a single payment for invoices from multiple customers. I'll note your suggestion about the reconciliation list as a feature request in our system. As it stands the best approach is probably to manually add the invoice number to the Journal Memo field of the invoice payment.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Aug 9, 2012 9:21 AM BST