Forum Message

New Feature List

Mark

How do you decide what features to include in your next release? You get lots of suggestions from us; would you let us vote for our favourite(s) for your consideration?

How about publishing a list of the, say, 10 items you are considering and and let us give a a top 3?

I'm sure we would all understand if our number 1 had subsequently to be filed under "too difficult".

My choice? A report writer. Or more particularly, a couple of liquidity reports (Cash & Bank Less Accounts Payable and Cash & Bank plus Receivables less Payables)

Regards

Alan

Posted by Alan Budden on Aug 21, 2012 10:11 PM BST

Hi Alan,

Several factors determine what features we work on, including: a) The number of emails we get from users in support of a particular feature; b) The amount of 'pain' that the feature would relieve; c) The effect on users who don't want that feature; d) The estimated difficulty and time taken to implement it; e) Whether we can do a better job than other accounting packages; f) How interesting the feature would be to develop.

It is an interesting idea for users to be able to vote on suggestions and see which ones we consider the highest priority. Perhaps something similar to the way Dropbox manages user suggestions:
https://www.dropbox.com/help/136/en
(Why do they force you to log in just to view the suggestions?!). However, we need to manage users' expectations carefully: If we publicly tell users that we rate a feature highly but later change our minds then it might make a few people upset.

I'll note this and your suggestions about the reports as options for future development.

Cheers,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Aug 22, 2012 9:25 AM BST