Forum Message

Novice nerves

My actor son has asked if I'd do his accounts (incl VAT). I got 0% in Maths O-level half a century ago so I'm wondering if this is a foolhardy project. On the other hand I've noticed your helpful and jargon-free responses to questions. What do you think?

Posted by Ed Fredenburgh on Sep 1, 2012 2:25 PM BST

Hi Ed,

I can understand that using accounting software seems daunting. In fact, you may not need accounting software at all. For simple businesses you can get away with just using a spreadsheet to keep track of your income and expenses, and if you register for the 'Flat Rate Scheme' for VAT then it is very easy to complete your VAT return without any special software.

If your business is more complicated then you may find that calculating your profit is more difficult - in this case try accounting software (you can download a free trial of Solar Accounts). You may need to initially spend a bit of time setting up your business, but after the initial 'learning curve' it's usually straightforward. In case you haven't seen it, here are our help contents pages:
http://www.solaraccounts.co.uk/help/

If you have any questions just email support@solaraccounts.co.uk. We can answer simple accounting queries and aim to respond within 1 business day. For complicated queries we can refer you to a few accountants who are familiar with Solar Accounts.

All the best for you and your son!

Cheers

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Sep 2, 2012 10:02 AM BST

Download the trial Fred, and give it a whirl............we used to do simple spreadsheets but found Solar so good we have no regrets in spending a few pounds and a half hour or so to set it up. The package just makes it all so easy. Support is excellent and the application is great. Try it then buy it !

Alan (Solar customer for 3 years)

Posted by Alan Eastough on Sep 3, 2012 12:53 PM BST

Sorry Ed, got you as Fred ! .....but the message remains the same.

Posted by Alan on Sep 3, 2012 12:55 PM BST