Forum Message

Closing down documents or periods

I'm trying the demo system and I am extremely impressed, with the single and, to me, huge exception that it appears that you can alter anything forever. The flexibility is great but I'd much prefer it if you could at some point fix/close documents and/or periods so that alterations could not then be made.

The system I'm thinking of ditching for this one, has two system-wide dates you can set, a warning date and anything entered before that dates simply asks for confirmation, and a close-off date where anything entered before that date is refused (i.e. the period is closed and accounts have been submitted and should not change). NOTE: You do not have to set either dates unless you want to.

To be able to go back years and alter prime documents, even the values, is hard for me to understand.

Is there any chance something could be done about this in future releases? Or have I misunderstood how it works?

Posted by Clive Taylor on Dec 26, 2012 3:50 AM GMT

Hi Clive,

Yes, it would be better if Solar Accounts could lock transaction periods to prevent them from being accidentally edited. We hope to add this feature in future, although we cannot promise this. I'll record your email address to be notified in case we add the ability lock transaction periods. As it stands you should print (or save to PDF) the Nominal Ledger report for the end of the financial year - this will at least allow you to see if the transactions are changed in future.

Regards

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Dec 27, 2012 10:52 AM GMT

Thank you Mark.

I've done a bit more work with the trial system now and I think it's really great. It's soooo simple to use and yet quite powerful.

Posted by Clive Taylor on Dec 27, 2012 7:16 PM GMT