Forum Message

Flat Rate - Miscalculation on VAT return?

I have been using Solar Accounts on a Flat Rate Scheme of 12%. HMRC have now queried VERY return I have put in from my Solar Accounts return.

As an example on line 6 I have total sales (incl VAT on Flat rate) of £9028.40 which means I should pay £1083.40 at 12% but the VAT return generated says I should pay £1059.65. Clearly and underpayment.

I am not a book keeper. Can someone explain why the discrepancy as I have to explain this and adjust every return for the past 2 years.

Many thanks

S

Posted by Steve Molyneux on Apr 1, 2013 12:59 PM BST

Hi Steve,

Solar Accounts stores the flat rate percentage for each transaction - from your description it is likely that one of your sales transactions doesn't have its flat rate set to 12%. To identify the transaction, go to the Reports list and select the VAT Return Detail and click the 'Configure' button to set the date range. Then look for a transaction where the Box 1 figure is not 12% of the Box 6 figure - then edit the transaction and click the small Up arrow next to the VAT Treatment field to see the flat rate. (If you use the 'cash method' and the transaction is an invoice payment then you will need to edit the associated invoice).

If that doesn't resolve the problem please click menu File > Backup, then save the backup file and email it to me - this will give me a better understanding of the problem.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Apr 1, 2013 2:50 PM BST