Forum Message

Invoice Date and VAT

This is not really a problem with Solar Accounts, but I have bought and use the software and hoping someone may help with this issue which has happened a few times now.

Occasionally I buy goods which are on back order and can take a while to arrive. However the suppliers will not send an invoice until the goods are shipped, but the invoice is usually dated with the payment date which can be weeks earlier. The problem then comes if I receive an invoice which is dated in the last VAT quarter, but I have already submitted my VAT records without the invoice as I did not have it. Suppliers are telling me it is illegal to send an invoice before the goods are shipped (although they are quite bloody happy to take my money weeks in advance before goods ship!).

So to summarize: I buy an item on 25th June and pay. The item is not shipped until 25th July by which time I have already complete my VAT for the last quarter. The invoice they sent is dated the date I paid for the goods on 25th June and not the date the item and invoice was sent a month later.

As far as I can tell the only way around this is to cross out the invoice date and put a new invoice date inside the new VAT period as suppliers refuse to change the invoice dates.

Does anyone know if there is another way around this problem please?

Posted by Steve Perry on Aug 20, 2013 4:07 PM BST

Hi Steve,
My understanding is that the invoice should be dated when the goods are shipped not when you made the advance payment. Your method of correcting the invoice date seems OK to me but I would check with the HMRC telephone Helpline on 0845 010 9000.
Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Aug 21, 2013 8:29 AM BST

What I do in these circumstances is to enter the invoice on the first day of the new VAT period and also append to the suppliers reference the words
"Dated dd/mm/yy"

Posted by Jack on Aug 22, 2013 3:29 PM BST