Forum Message

iXBRL and CT600 submit support?

Hello,

Will Solar Accounts support the iXBRL and CT600 submit functionality in the future. I've been looking for some accounting software and actually really like Solar Accounts as it's simple, but am really inclined to go for something that is listed here by HMRC: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/efiling/ctsoft_dev.htm

I understand that not being listed here doesn't mean Solar Accounts isn't up to the job, but being a bit naive in this area I'm wanting to start using software that has a roadmap for growth so I'm not left with my books in a format that isn't used.

Perhaps a very long winded question, but basically is support for these HMRC standards on the roadmap?

Cheers,

Mark.

Posted by Mark on Nov 5, 2013 1:47 PM GMT

Hi Mark,

I'll note your support for this feature but it unlikely that we add this in the near term as we are focused on other areas. Note also that the end-of-year financial reports produced by Solar Accounts (Profit and Loss, Balance Sheet, etc) are generic and have not been specifically designed to meet CT600 requirements.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Nov 6, 2013 10:03 AM GMT

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately it's made me even more confused. Now it seems I've trying to use a screwdriver to knock in a nail.

Please forgive me as I am really a novice in this area so am trying to learn and understand so bear with me.

Basically I have a small Ltd company and according to my understanding of things, HMRC require all Ltd companies to file a CT600 (or at least that is my understanding, but like I say I'm a bit green at all this :) ).

If I understand your response correctly, you're saying that the reports generated (P&L, Balance sheet etc.) by Solar accounts isn't suitable for this. Therefore am I to assume that Solar Accounts is for sole traders? Like I said in my previous message, I've tried a few packages so far to see which one "works" for me and have found Solar Accounts to be very simple and straight forward to do, but if I'm going to find at the end of the year the information I've entered can't be used, I'm going to have to do it all again into another package. This would be a bit frustrating.

If this is the case, would you be able to recommend another simple and user friendly accounting package that I might want to use instead?

Cheers,

Mark.

Posted by Mark on Nov 6, 2013 12:02 PM GMT

Hi Mark,

Sorry, I wasn't clear. We have not looked at the CT600 requirements so we cannot say whether the reports produced by Solar Accounts can be used directly in your CT600 return or whether you would need to make adjustments to the report format to conform to the requirements.

You can use Solar Accounts to manage your company finances, but you will need to either (a) copy and paste the final report figures into an iXBRL program which adheres to the CT600 requirements; (b) manually check that Solar Accounts report format matches the CT600 requirements and make adjustments where necessary; (c) submit the return through an accountant who is familiar with the CT600 requirements. I realise that by not producing reports specifically for CT600 (and not providing IXBRL online submission) it makes our software less attractive, so I can understand if you feel that Solar Accounts is not suitable. Unfortunately I cannot suggest an alternative software package - sorry.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Nov 6, 2013 1:58 PM GMT

I had this exact problem.

There's basically two sorts of accounts packages out there: Management accounts (that deals with day-to-day bookkeeping, VAT and such; Solar is one such package) and Statutory accounts (deals with submitting accounts to HMRC).

While there are some areas that overlap, management accounts packages don't usually deal with the statutory bits and statutory accounts packages are normally priced on the assumption you are an accountant who can spread the cost amongst many clients.

HMRC - and for that matter most of the companies developing accounts software - assume that you will use a management accounts package for your day to day bookkeeping and then somehow send the data to an accountant to deal with the legal bits. The P&L account generated by Solar covers about 90% of what your accountant will want anyway

The good news (that HMRC don't make particularly obvious!) is that if you submit your CT600 through their Adobe Acrobat-based form, you don't need to separately submit iXBRL-formatted accounts. Though the online CT600 form is missing some bits so is not suitable for all businesses.

Note: I am not an accountant and this is not accountancy advice!

Posted by James Cort on Dec 30, 2014 3:01 PM GMT