Forum Message

Journal Entries to accrue accountancy fees

Hi,

I wish to make an accrual at the end of my financial year for my accountancy fees. I've created a liability account for accurals but am a bit confused on how the record the journal transactions. Could you please confirm how I should enter the accrual (I guess this would be a general transaction but from which account and to which account) at the end of the year, and how I should then enter the actual payment when invoiced (would this be another general transaction or money paid out and again from / to which accounts)?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Regards,

Gary

Posted by Gary Cook on Dec 14, 2013 2:31 PM GMT

Hi Gary,

Here's how I would record the transactions:

1. On the last day of the financial year create a General Transaction from the accrual liability account to the accounting fees expense account.

2. On the first day of the next financial year create another General Transaction in the opposite direction - this will reverse the previous transaction.

3. When you receive your accountant's bill in the next year create a purchase transaction as normal (e.g. as a purchase invoice with the Account set to accounting fees)

Please check the above approach with your accountant as he/she may prefer a different method.

Regards

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Dec 16, 2013 7:48 AM GMT