Forum Message

Multi Currency

Hello,

I work with multiple currencies and very much miss the support for this in Solar, short of using different files.

Would a workaround for this be to create, say, a new asset account e.g. "Cash (Euro)", and while the symbol will still be £, just use it aas a Euro account. Would there be anyway to record the exchange rate as an adjustment of some kind in this account, or elsewhere?

Thanks.

Posted by Cheryl on Feb 8, 2014 6:38 PM GMT

Hi Cheryl,

I wouldn't recommend using that approach - it would be too easy to confuse the two currencies. Instead, I would recommend that you create two files - one for UK Pounds and another for Euros. Enter your Euro asset into the Euro business file, then at the end of every month (or every quarter) create a transaction in your UK Pounds file which records in Pounds the value of your Euro asset using an appropriate exchange rate. Please check this approach with your accountant as he/she may prefer a different method.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Feb 9, 2014 10:40 AM GMT

I too would love to see support for multiple currencies in a future version of Solar Accounts. And probably all the other international freelancers looking for a good accounting software :)

Posted by Ingmar on Feb 11, 2014 2:22 AM GMT

Hi. I too would appreciate multiple currencies. I have 3 accounts - GBP, USD, and EURO, and I have to have 3 separate files to record accounts. If you could do this, it would save a lot of hassle switching between files and trying to ensure it all balances

Posted by Matthew Cooper on Mar 4, 2014 12:09 PM GMT