Forum Message

Client Account

I hold monies for me clients. I receive money for them and pay money out for them. Can this accountancy software deal with this without getting mixed up with my own accounts and provide me with a statement of my clients' accounts

Posted by Roger Cole on Mar 21, 2014 10:54 PM GMT

Hi Roger,

Yes - here some common transactions you will need to record in your case:

1. When you receive money from a client create a Money Received transaction with the Type field set to 'Advance Payment'. This will reduce the balance of the customer record shown in the Customers - a negative balance shows how much you are holding on behalf of your customer.

2. When you pay an expense on behalf of your client (ie. a 'disbursement') create an Invoice with the Account set to 'Cheque Account' (or 'Petty Cash' or 'Mastercard' etc). If you are VAT-registered then set the VAT Treatment to 'Out of Scope'. When you save the invoice Solar Accounts will offer to allocate the advance payment to it - click 'Yes'.

3. When you charge your client a fee create an invoice with the Account set to 'Sales Income'. Again, click 'Yes' to allocate the advance payment to the invoice when prompted.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Mar 24, 2014 10:34 AM GMT