Forum Message

Deposit Paid in advance of receipt of goods

Mark,

Please help - I've ordered a new van and paid a small deposit but won't receive a VAT invoice until delivery, when payment of the remainder will also be due.

How should I record this advance payment of a deposit?

Many thanks,

Gary

Posted by Gary Cook on Mar 28, 2014 3:42 PM GMT

Hi Gary,

Create a Money Paid Out transaction with the Type set to 'Advance Payment'. Later when you record the purchase invoice Solar Accounts will offer to allocate the advance payment to the invoice - click 'Yes'.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Mar 31, 2014 9:17 AM BST

Okay, thanks,

One other query re purchase of my new van - reading your help file on hire purchase and the example of a van purchase you suggest that the sale of my existing van in part ex should be recorded by raising a purchase credit note. Why this rather than a normal sales invoice? What is the difference? The dealer has asked for a sales invoice for my old van so they can reclaim the VAT - will the credit note form the same function?

Also I'm on the flat rate VAT scheme, by following your suggestion I presume I will only reclaim the VAT on the difference between the purchase cost of the new van less the part ex cost, whereas if the old van was recorded as a conventional sale I would reclaim the full VAT on the new van and pay my flat rate percentage on sale of the old one and so be better off - or isn't this allowed?

Thanks,
Gary

Posted by Gary Cook on Apr 1, 2014 6:48 AM BST

Hi Gary,

(Other users note: the help page Gary mentions is here: http://www.solaraccounts.co.uk/help/how-to-record-a-hire-purchase-agreement.php )

In this case the only difference between a sales invoice and a purchase credit note is that the purchase credit note can be allocated to the purchase invoice, thus decreasing the balance of the purchase invoice. A sales invoice would have the same effect on the accounts. I believe a purchase credit note is acceptable for VAT purposes, but please check with HMRC on 0300 200 3700. If it is not acceptable, I would change simply change the printed title of the purchase credit note to 'invoice', print it, then change the title back again.

I assume your purchase of the old van was not subject to flat rate rules (since it was a capital purchase above £2,000). Therefore your 'sale' of the old van must also be excluded from the flat rate rules - in the purchase credit note window click More Options > VAT Treatment > VAT Treatment Details, and remove the tick next to 'Flat rate scheme applies to this transaction'. Again please check with HMRC on this point.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Apr 1, 2014 8:24 AM BST