Forum Message

Credit cards in cash flow forecast

Hey -

I've been using Solar for a few years now, and I can say that its hands-down the best accounting software I've used. Really intuitive, user-friendly, etc.

But this question isn't regarding the software specifically. Its more of a general question on cashflow forecasting and I wondered if anyone else had the same problem.

I'm really meticulous about keeping out accounts up-to-date daily. And right now we are doing some forecasting for the next 12 months.

But, the issue we have is that a lot of payments like software subscriptions, office rent, storage, hosting/domains, etc come out from our charge card.

This is fine as a method of payment, but of course my bank (HSBC) takes money from the Cheque Account to pay off the Charge Card on the 15th of each month. So, what I'm finding is that I'm not accurately able to do a cashflow forecast, breaking out each of the above accounts, because the transfer from Cheque to Charge Card will be of payments made out in June.

Does that make sense?

The only way around it I see is to remove all the items that are paid from the Charge Card, and have a new line called 'Charge Card Items' - this is the only way to get an accurate depiction of:

Cash at beginning of month
Revenue
Expenses
Net Income
Cash at the end of the month

Does all that make sense? :S

Posted by James Lee on Jul 8, 2014 12:59 PM BST